Working on a timeline - Allens in the 1600s

 I've been working on a timeline for 1600s Braintree / Brantry / Mount Wollaston.

Mostly so that I have a handy reference. 

I've found these two pdfs very helpful - John Robb's Two New England Patriarchs and Evidential Timeline. He references a lot of sources I have seen elsewhere, some I have easily accessible in my notes, others I read and didn't properly save a reference / source for. 

Right now, I am going through The Second Report of the Commissioners of the City of Boston, records for 1634 - 1660. I'm only on numbered page 8 (which would be physical page 31 or 32. William Hutchinson (Anne's husband) appearing on committees and much discussion of Pastor Wilson's land in Mount Wollaston. Wilson was off in England and came back to find Anne Hutchinson, Rev Wheelwright, and Rev Hull.

It will be a place where I put interesting scraps of information that may or may not turn out to tie into the Allen story. For instance, just saw a reference to the Rev Thomas Hooker leading the "Braintree Company", as in "Quite an accession was made to the small population of Newtown [Cambridge] in August, 1632 when, by order of the General Court, the Braintree Company (Rev. Mr. Hooker's), which had begun a settlement at Mount Wollaston, removed hither." Between 1635 and 1636, Rev Hooker and members of his congregation again moved on to Connecticut. (source: pg 441, Memorial History of Boston, 1880s editor: Justin Winsor). However, another source has Hooker arriving in 1633. Perhaps this is due to the dating problem? The Puritan year ending in March, so what we would now call March 1633 was the 12th month of 1632?

Ah, here is the answer on pg 9 of this Connecticut history - "Some of [Thomas Hooker's] congregation had already gone, in 1632. In 1633, ... he and John Cotton sailed in the Griffin for New England. ...Hooker and his congregation "the Braintree Company (which had begun to sit down at Mount Wollaston)"



Comments